Antalis hosted the Johannesburg launch of the new Arjowiggins Creative Papers’ Curious Matter, part of the multi-sensory Curious Collection, on 11 March 2015 at The Venue in Melrose Arch, Johannesburg. Antalis has already hosted launch events in Pretoria and Durban and will be in Cape Town next.
The Curious Matter Collection range is an innovative and unique paper with an impressive feel at an accessible price. Curious Matter is one of a kind, patented and the material is revolutionary as it is made with potato starch. It provides a surprising texture with a richly matte homogenous surface and deep, ultra-pigmented colours.
The new Curious Matter, with its extremely distinctive ‘rough’, yet silky, surface, is ideal for brochures, invitations, report covers, packaging (folded and rigid boxes) and any application where an outstanding homogenous and matt surface, along with an enigmatic touch, is required.
To create Curious Matter’s seductive, contemporary palette, Arjowiggins Creative Papers used the names of rare potatoes from around the world for inspiration:
• Désirée Red: the name of this potato from the Netherlands and France expresses the fiery, passionate, and indulgent nature of the colour. The blazing and powerful Curious Matter version stands out as a newly intense colour perfect for announcing an event and printed communications for anything from accessories to pastries and lingerie.
• Adiron Blue: the Adiron Blue potato is a hybrid created recently by a well-known American university and has an arresting deep and vibrant cobalt blue. Curious Matter’s version has a sensational graphic tone with magnetic qualities that make it eye-catching for events, invitations and packaging.
• Purple Majesty: this penetrating and mysterious shade carries the name of one of the world’s healthiest potatoes that is rich in antioxidants, giving it its voluptuous and seductive colouring. It is also a chef’s favourite for its divine taste. This colour is perfectly suited to the luxury goods, cosmetics and fashion industries.
• Black Truffle: named after an ancient potato from Latin America and Italy, this vibrant extra black has irresistible ‘must have’ elegance.
• Andina Grey: this uncommonly gnarled potato is probably the source of all modern varieties. This is a timeless ash-grey, with a porous, pebble-like feel. It is an essential tone that exudes wisdom and adds subtlety to the collection. A perennial colour, embodying comfort, wellbeing and stability, it is as ideal for beauty and lifestyle products as it is for spirits.
• Ibizenca Sand: found in the Ibiza and Formentera Islands, this is a gourmand’s delight, with a beige mineral-based shade, whose colour and texture is reminiscent of the coast and its sandy dunes. This shade, as Andina Grey, is a natural colour that reflects the recent trend for nude and kraft colours and will delight the food, drink and cosmetics industries.
• Goya White: a potato with pure white flesh and renowned for its resilience, has inspired this extremely white shade that is versatile and timeless, perfect for four-colour printing and packaging.
Arjowiggins’ Curious Matter range does everything. There is no need to use expensive or extra print techniques. Select the right colour of paper and the right font, and even the most minimalist designs will create a magical printed tool.
For optimum results in litho printing, increase the blanket pressure or use a softer blanket to achieve consistent ink lay down. Conventional positive drying inks should be used with or without infra red drying assistance. Fully oxidising inks or UV inks may also be used.
To express the new papers’ creative potential, Arjowiggins Creative Papers had an artistic collaboration with designer Gary Card, a rising star of the London scene and fêted costume and set designer for Lady Gaga. He has created extravagant creatures fashioned from Curious Matter and Curious Collection papers.
Other Curious Range Papers by Arjowiggins include:
• Curious Translucents can be used to create effects, to add to, or be an alternative for conventional papers. Remember that Curious Translucents is more reactive to atmospheric conditions than conventional papers and that it will produce excellent results when used as recommended.
• SKIN Curious is ideal for applications such as: brochures, invitations, luxury packaging and any application where an outstanding homogeneous and matt surface is required.
• Curious Touch Soft is ideal for distinctive brochures, report covers, folders, dividers, book covers, box wraps, high-end packaging, unusual attire and countless other applications that call for a very unusual and touchable surface.
• Curious Cosmic is suitable for any applications for which an outstanding effect is required: brochure covers, luxury invitations, prestigious press files, unique packaging. Its homogenous, deep metallic, matt and soft surface will enhance any print techniques.
• Curious Metallics can be used for applications such as: annual reports, brochures, posters, report covers, greeting cards, invitations, box wraps, end papers, menus, cool stationery and very cool catalogue covers.